Helping the moving crew on moving day is a thoughtful gesture, but it’s important to do so in a way that doesn’t hinder their work or create any safety hazards.
You hired a professional moving company because you wanted their expertise as well as someone to do the heavy lifting.
So if you really want to help, here are 9 ways you can assist without getting in the way. Your moving crew will appreciate all of these!
- Stay Out of High-Traffic Areas: Avoid the main pathways that the movers are using to carry items in and out of the house. This will prevent accidents and delays.
- Offer Refreshments: On a busy moving day, offering water, coffee, or snacks can be greatly appreciated. Just be sure to ask if they would like something to drink or eat and set up a designated area for refreshments.
- Label Boxes Clearly: If you haven’t already done so, label your boxes with their contents and the rooms they belong to. This makes it easier for the movers to place them in the right spots.
- Pack Personal Items: Handle your personal and valuable items separately. Keep important documents, jewelry, and sentimental items with you rather than including them with the rest of your belongings.
- Be Available for Questions: The moving crew may have questions about specific items or where to place certain boxes. Be available to provide guidance when needed.
- Prepare Any Pathways: Clear pathways in your home and ensure that the entryways and exits are unobstructed. This includes removing obstacles like area rugs, toys, or low-hanging decorations.
- Keep Pets Safe: If you have pets, keep them in a separate room or arrange for a friend or family member to look after them. This prevents pets from getting stressed or in the way during the move.
- Be Mindful of Children: If you have young children, try to keep them occupied in a safe area away from moving activities. This ensures their safety and minimizes distractions for the movers. You can also have them spend time with a family member if that’s an option.
- Stay Calm, Relax and Be Positive: Moving can be stressful, but maintaining a positive attitude and showing appreciation for the crew’s hard work can go a long way.
Ask the moving crew if there’s anything specific they need, and be responsive to their requests. Ultimately, the goal is to make the move as smooth and efficient as possible for everyone involved. And one of the best ways to do that is to let your moving professionals do their job.