You just moved into your new home. Now what? Before you get too comfortable, make sure you complete these important, often forgotten tasks.
Within the first week:
- Take photos of your old (now empty) home – especially if you were renting. These could come in handy if a dispute regarding your security deposit arises.
- Check your belongings for any damage from the move. Document, contact your mover, and file a claim promptly.
- Figure out where and when your trash and recycling pickup is.
- Change all the locks on your new home.
Within 30 days:
- Update your driver’s license with your new address. Typically, this is required within 30 days. For MA residents, please visit : DMV.org
- Send address change notifications to: post office, utility companies (gas, electric, water, cable, phone, internet, etc.), employer, bank, health care provider, any subscription services (magazine, gym, etc.)
Within 60 days:
- Register your vehicle at your new address. Typically, this is required within 60 days of your move.
- Update your voter registration with your new address.
Once you complete these important post-move tasks … sit back, relax, and enjoy your new home.