Kia ora! Strict bio-security laws mean there are some items you cannot bring to New Zealand, and some other items will require inspection on arrival. Relax! Our International Moving Experts at Humboldt will help you through the process.
Restricted and Prohibited Items
Do not pack these goods as they may be seized unless accompanied by official certification.
- Any packets of food.
- Honey, pollen, propolis, honeycombs, or other bee products.
- Plants, bulbs, cuttings, corms, rhizomes, tubers, commercially packed seeds and seeds for planting.
- Prohibited packaging such as straw or used fresh food cartons.
- Items restricted under the Convention or International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) such as coral, ivory, snakeskin, whale bone, turtle shell, and some sea shells.
Items That Must Be Declared
The following items may require inspection and in some cases, certification from the country of origin.
- Fresh or dried fruit, vegetables, mushrooms or fungi.
- Any meat, fish, shellfish or poultry.
- Ingredients used in cooking, all milk products, cheese, eggs or egg products, and milk based baby foods.
- Hunting trophies or stuffed animals.
- Traditional or herbal medicines or remedies, health supplements and homeopathic remedies that include animal or plant products.
- Dried flower arrangements or Christmas decorations made from plant material.
- All wooden items, drums, carvings, spears and masks, items stuffed with seeds or straw, made of bamboo, cane, coconut or straw, or hair, fur, unprocessed wool, skin, feathers and bone.
- All outdoor, camping, sports equipment, hiking boots and other sporting footwear that could be contaminated with soil, seeds or water.
- Grooming and veterinary equipment, beekeeping equipment, saddles, bridles, bird cages and pet beds.
- Gardening equipment and outdoor furniture.
Remember: If an item requires treatment you will have to pay for this service. Any goods that can not be imported will be destroyed or reshipped.
Importing to New Zealand
New Zealand Customs Service
Immigration New Zealand
New Zealand Transport Agency
Search for Import Health Standards