Whether you have your current home on the market, or are just settling into your new place – avoid spending your holidays handling stressful Winter-related disasters with a bit of preventative maintenance.
Indoor Prep – Start inside your home, where properly working equipment, maintaining heat, and preventing pipe bursts are of utmost importance.
- Schedule annual maintenance checkups of your HVAC, heating system, fireplace, and chimney by licensed contractors.
- If you use oil heat, check the fuel level and schedule fuel delivery early in the season. Monitor fuel level and usage throughout the season.
- Set thermostat no lower than 55 degrees.
- Open doors to unoccupied rooms to keep an even temperature throughout the home.
- Inspect and add additional insulation in the attic to prevent heat loss and ice dams.
- Check or install weather stripping around doors and windows to guard against drafts and heat loss.
- Remove screens and install storm windows and doors.
- Check for any leaking pipes or faucets. Insulate any pipes in unheated areas of the home.
- Learn how to shut off your water and where all pipes are located in case of a water emergency, flood, or pipe burst. Test your sump pump.
Outdoor Prep – Once inside your home is prepped, move outside to prevent potential external disasters including leaks, falling limbs, and ice da