As part of our ongoing series on Moving with Autism, we have developed a list of tools and tips to make moving day as seamless of a transition as possible.
Moving with Autism Video- How to Cope With Moving Day
Moving Day Tips
- Stick to your daily routine – Our movers will be respectful of your schedule and will try to accommodate your needs as much as possible.
- Include your family member on moving day as much as possible – even if it is to carry just one box into the new space. Let them dictate how much they want to help and be supportive of their decisions. If possible, it may be better for the family member to leave with a care giver for the duration of the move.
- Say goodbye to your old home in a meaningful way. Acknowledge that it may be sad to leave, but exciting to start a new life.
- Set up your family member’s new room first. Engage your family in unpacking his or her belongings.
- Be prepared for outbursts and have a plan in place to address them.
With these helpful steps, your moving day will be a relaxing success.